Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Seattle Part 2

The coolest thing about Seattle is the taxpayers spend more per capita on the arts than an other American city so you'll be walking around and see some beautiful art walk a few more blocks and come across a park with sculptures. Its so great. This is the Olympic Sculpture Park.



Sadly, J and I couldn't go to the Experience Music Project--but I know some of my blog readers are big music fans so I wanted to post a picture. The Experience Music Project was created in by Paul Allen, Microsoft Co-Founder, who wanted to build a tribute to Jimi Hendrix. The EMP houses 80,000 musical artifacts. The building alone is cool--the architect Frank Gehry designed it. The entrance fee is about $20 per person but that includes the Sci-Fi Museum next door.



After finishing our tour of the Seattle Center--we headed to Pioneer Square where we checked out Elliot Bay Books which takes up an entire block. The cool thing about this locally owned book store is that the staff write reviews of their favorites books on sticky notes that are put near the books.

After book browsing we (well I-J doesn't drink coffee) stopped in at Tully's, one of Seattle's favorite coffee sellers. I didn't feel like a hot drink so I grabbed the old faithful iced mocha. yummy.
Sadly, again we didn't go to the Seattle Art Museum (SAM) but the building was so cool I took a picture. The sculpture actually moves! Very cool.


To round our day out we went to a Rachel Ray recommended spot, the Brick House. It was yummy and a great way to end our trip.

Seattle is an amazing place. It is full of life, good food, great art and music and of course coffee. When we were there (2 days) it was cool (mid to low 60's) but sunny--the weather report said that it was going to be warmer later in the week and the locals didn't seem to carry umbrellas around. The prices are affordable and people are nice and helpful. If you haven't been to Seattle it is definitely a must trip.

3 comments:

Lori said...

I know someone that lives in Seattle--he moved there from NYC and LOVES it...I wonder if this is where Pam and J will end up too. Sounds promising. If you have time, drive an hour north to the San Juan Islands--literally one of the most beautiful places I have ever been! Plus, on the way they have the largest tulip farms in the world--it is gorgeous!

Shelly said...

WOW!! I'm just totally loving this!
I had no idea of all the cool places in that part of our country!
I always head to ocean (when its my dime) It was nice going and being in California on someone else's :) Still loving the commentarys because I always want to know how everything tastes! Yummy!!

Kari said...

Oh, I really want to go to Seattle now! It totally sounds like my kind of place. And I gotta say - that ham and cheese thing J had sounds kinda yummy right about now...